Monday, July 8, 2013

I was a Lamanite this week...



Well, this week was a good one. I think probly the best thing in the mission in the amount of lessons learned through trial and experience. I feel like it`s something I won't be able to recognize as easily when I go home. Today has been a good P-day so far: we just got back from el Templo Bahaiia (?). It is the world's second largest religion after Christianity I guess? It was pretty cool though - I was surprised to hear that their belief about revelation and prophets is very similar to ours and Joseph Smith. They have 8 temples in the world - one on every continent I think. And one of the 8 is stationed right here in Panama! Ha! Anyway. 

So I'm almost embarrassed to write this, but God totally humbled me this week. In the past little while, I'd had more success than I'd had almost in any other point in my mission. With that, I got a little prideful I think. Literally prideful, no, but, I don't know. I just got lackadaisical with stuff. This past Sunday when I didn't have any baptisms, I think I realized: I've gotta go out and WORK again to get them. I don't think lazy is the right word, but I had let up a bit. Haha. We read about the Lamanites/Nephites that go through the cycle of obedience, blessings, falling into wickedness and temptations, etc, and I feel like I fell right into that hole. And to think, I just finished reading Alma! You'd think I would've learned something.... ha. Anyway, now I'm back on track and Elder Atuake and I are ready to go out and baptize the world! We already put the goal of 4 baptisms in July and we are gonna do it! We are fasting every Saturday and into Sunday for it. I love my comp - he`s such a boss. 

In other news, we are now participating in the..... WARD CHOIR!!! What?! The men are actually non-existent. It was practically an all relief-society choir, until my comp and I offered our talents! Haha! The practice yesterday after church was long and kind of boring, not to mention we had been fasting, but it's great. Now more than ever I regret not knowing how to play piano and read music. A lady asked me to go play the piano yesterday, assuming I knew how because I'm from America.... I had to sadly tell her I don't know how to play. Grandma.... 100 points. You were always right. 
Pariaso Zone wearing their "Dream Team" t-shirts

Oh! We also had a baptismal service for the sisters here in the ward on Saturday. It's kind of a long story, but it was really a baptism of Elder Paskett's (Mom, I'm sure he explained it in his weekly letter if you wanna check it out)! He had been transferred to Chorrera and came to the ghetto to perform the baptism in our capilla Saturday night! It was way fun to see him. I'd love to finish my mission being comps with him.

Also, I did divisions with an Elder Quico this week - he's from Peru! It's so funny how all the Peruvians talk - they all have the same way of talking. I thought of Dave :) I tried to help him understand how to teach PEOPLE, not lessons. He's a new guy in the mission still. I feel like we as leaders have such a big carga now more than ever with so many new missionaries. To be honest, I don't know if they really know too well how to teach and be missionaries! It falls on us to help teach them. 

Anyway, that's all I have time for this week. I love you all and hope you all have an awesome week!
-Elder Clarke
P.S.... Happy 4th of July this past week! Ether 2:12.... our country needs to continue to follow God!

No comments:

Post a Comment